Saturday 14 March 2015

Can Mixed Media be Elegant?

I think so. I hope so! This is what Wikipedia says "Mixed media, in visual art, refers to an artwork in the making of which more than one medium has been employed." So I guess it can be. Sometimes though, I feel that I'm faking and should be sloshing and slopping paints and texture paste around more. What do you think?




In this card, I have slopped some paint about using my Gelliplate. I then die cut the bird with the finished result. I find that a fun way to use my Gelliplate - just playing around and using it with dies. I also got messy with the background too - I embossed a piece of white card and then swiped some versamark ink over it, missing a few places, heat embossed it with Pearl embossing powder and when it was dry,  sprayed Heidi Swapp gold Color Shine over it.  I made the gold button embellishment with paper clay and a mould from a cake shop and when it was dry I coloured it with Delicata ink.

So it is definitely Mixed Media and I think it is elegant. I think I will always be leaning toward CAS, even when I get messy!  I definitely had fun making this card!

I would like to remind you about this month's challenge at the Mixed Media Card Challenge. The theme is Spring and the optional element is *bird*. You have until 25 March to play.




I am also entering my card in the following challenges:-

The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - Birds of a Feather

Virginia's View Challenge - All Things Embossed (double embossed background and sentiment)

Simon Monday Challenge 'Bis for ...' (Bird)

Simon Wednesday Challenge Things that Fly





10 comments:

  1. Fits the definition of mixed media perfectly, jenny! I love that rich background, and the bird is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty, colorful card. What a great way to use your Gelli paper. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely elegant Jenny ... and definitely mixed media. Love all the gorgeous texture for your background. And love your gelli plate bird ... still haven't pulled my new plate out of the packaging yet. Need to get some paints first (more shopping!!). :) Beautiful card ... and even better when you had so much making it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card! Love that pretty background and the colorful bird is just fabulous!!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet card. The textures and colors are awesome. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Gelli plate bird!! So much fun!! And I love the button ... so pretty! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I always go back to Shery's definition. Ink and stamps plus texture, dimension and technique. Or some combo of the above. This card is magnificient!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card! Love the golden textured background. The colorful bird looks fantastic! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colorful bird against the beautiful background! Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your card is really lovely! mixed media can be whatever you want it to be... thats the best part :) Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete